[drupal-devel] Path system scaleability

Matt Westgate matt at asitis.org
Tue Apr 19 18:51:49 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 01:32 pm, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> We would :
> 1) add a url_alias column to the node table
> 2) modify node_load to use the url_alias column, if set, otherwise
> default to node/view/$node->nid, and set the $node->link variable.
> 3) change all l('node/view/ . $node->nid) to l($node->link);
>
> Then pathauto can just implement the nodeapi hook to set the url_alias
> to whatever it wants, and the url_alias table will not
> grow unruly.

The path module currently lets you define many aliases for a single Drupal
system URL.  And the aliases can be any module path (user, node, search,
etc.).

So does this solution just copy over the default alias into the node table or
are you proposing something more extreme like dropping the url_alias table?

We could also benchmark if storing the alias array in the cache table would
provide any speed benefits. It seemed to work for the variables table anyway.

Matt