[drupal-devel] Re: [feature] favicon patch for themes

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Wed Apr 20 03:54:46 UTC 2005

Chris Messina wrote:

>+1 to this concept, though it seems that it should be ok for themes to
>provide their own... Therefore if you specify a custom favicon in the
>theme admin section, you override the default, but otherwise the
>default is used. The pseudo-code in the theme would look like:
>
>if {drupal-favicon}
>  output link to drupal-favicon
>else
>  output link to theme-favicon
>end if
>
>-1 for putting the favicon in drupal_get_html_head.
>
>I also think that you should be able to upload the favicon like you
>can a logo in the theme admin section and that this should be a global
>theme setting instead of the current "enter a relative path for the
>favicon".

A big +1... a little more formally:

- We leave the default favicon.ico in root.
- Allow themes to put a favicon.ico in their folder.
- Provide an admin option to allow you to change the favicon, like we do
now for the logo. This value defaults to the theme favicon if there is
one, the drupal favicon otherwise.

We designate which favicon to use through a <link rel="shortcut icon" />
tag in the head.

Steven Wittens