[drupal-devel] Drupal.org infrastructure

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Apr 21 08:36:49 UTC 2005

> As you might have seen, we occasionally get "too many connections"
> problems on drupal.org.  During peak hours the load of the machine
> occasionally spikes to 10+.  After such a burst, the load drops back
> below 2-3.  Most of the day, the load is just below 1 though.
>
> I haven't investigated the problem yet but I figured I would let you
> know.  For a few days now, I tried to get hold of Kjartan who
> administers the machine. It looks like he is traveling so I hope he gets
> back to us shortly.
>
> Know that we haven't properly configured the machine yet (it uses all
> the default settings) so chances are we get a long way by properly
> tuning the various configuration parameters.   In fact, I don't even
> know whether we have PHP cache/optimizing installed.  Clearly, we will
> have to look into that ASAP.

1. It is worth installing eaccelerator, it speeds up request serving. We
use it.

2. It would be a good idea to ditch the die(mysql_error()) now and
replace it with a user friendly error page, don't you think. I proposed
a patch before, and others also done that, although with different
information exposure for the viewer. I think a simple dumb user oriented
page should be displayed [1], but jhriggs thinks differently [2].

[1] http://drupal.org/node/8143
[2] http://drupal.org/node/9316

Please consider either the developer or the user friendly path, and
voice your opinion on the need to update either one.

Goba