[drupal-devel] Let's accept more interim solutions

Tim Altman web at timaltman.com
Fri Apr 22 07:14:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:32:31 +0200, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:

>>> In sum: early in the cycle - now! - is the time to be clearing the
>>> deck,
>>> applying any patch that has has obvious support, has addressed any
>>> major
>>> issues (leaving aside minor details or small remaining discussions) and
>>> applies without raising
>>> errors.
>>  I did not get this idea from your first post. But if you put it  this
>> way, I tend to agree.
>> My +1 was for lowering the treshold forr core patches in general. But
>> if you  put it like this: early in the cycle, apply big-impact patches,
>> then use the rest for the cycle to iron out their effect on the core, i
>> like the idea.
>>  But that is completely differnent from lowering the treshold; its just
>> a slightly different approach in our method. In fact we need not lower
>> any treshold, we only need to worry little less about all the effects
>> of a big change.
>
> Am I in a misunderstaing here, or we did this previously? I don't see
> the difference between the previous practice and the now cleaner
> proposal...

	Neither do I.

	I've gotten the impression from Dries that the biggest roadblock right
now is knowing whether a patch has been tested.  He proposed some changes
to project.module to make this information more clear.  I say we code
those changes and implement them on Drupal.org.  After a couple months
trying out the new system, we can talk about other improvements.

--
Tim Altman