[drupal-devel] [feature] Check All | None on Content List Page (admin/node)

jjeff drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Apr 22 22:57:02 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node.module
 Category:     feature requests

Yes, downloading a bookmarklet is rediculous. It might be a solution for
the people who are reading this, but aren't we trying to appeal to a
larger audience than the development community?

This script only (un)checks the boxes within the given form. The
bookmarklet hits the whole page.

I understand that it's both narrow thinking and bad web design to
require JavaScript of the client browser. But let's be honest, it's
2005 and most browsers have it. Even Opera on my cell phone has some
basic JavaScript capability. As in this case, the JavaScript should not
define an essential function, nor "get in the way" for non-javascript
browsers. Certainly, JavaScript can be abused, but simply using it does
not amount to inaccessiblity nor standards non-comliance.

And there are honestly some AMAZING things being done with AJAX and
lesser JavaScript. Anyone who has used Flickr can attest to this. Their
system uses both AJAX-style javascript and Flash in a way that provides
quick and efficient content editing and photo presentation, but
degrades gracefully.

Perhaps there should be a larger discussion about a JavaScript layer or
some sort of standard for Drupal. 'Cause let's be honest, a little DHTML
in the menu navigation would save a lot of time -- click 'administer',
wait for page to load, click 'settings', wait for the page to load,
click the thing you want -- it's just not efficient (and I know I can
fold 'em out using admin/menu, but that kinda kills the advantage of
having a heirarchy). The Rail prototype library is certainly
intreguing. Perhaps Drupal could adopt something like this, or build
something of our own.

Mathias, RichardB, and I have been doing some really cool stuff with
the TinyMCE JavaScript WYSIWYG editor. It provides Word-like extended
textarea editing capabilties to users who have the capability, with no
impact on non-capable browsers.

I made this patch as a quick way to get some basic "CMS 101"
functionality on the content list page. But I agree that it would be a
bit of an anomaly to commit this patch without looking at how
JavaScript can benefit the Drupal user interface as a whole.

-Jeff

jjeff

Previous comments:

April 16, 2005 - 12:53 : jjeff

>From the "what a great time-saver" department:

Here is a short patch to node.module that adds a "Check all | none"
javascript link to the bottom of the content listing table on
admin/node. By clicking "all" or "none" you can select or deselect all
of the check boxes in the table at once.

The javascript is very non-invasive, should work older (non-DOM)
browsers, and non-javascript browsers will simply lose this function.

The patch also adds the attribute [name = "node-admin"] to the [form]
tag. I don't know if there is a form naming convention, but this was
the best guess I could come up with by looking at the page source. And
incidentally, if Drupal is going to move toward javascript/ajax
functioning, all forms are going to need 'name' and 'id' tags. Most
don't have these now.

-Jeff

April 21, 2005 - 13:49 : Bèr Kessels

-1. Its up to the client to provide such interface tricks. Most clients
can do this with bookmarklets already.

April 22, 2005 - 07:02 : Junyor

How would you propose that a client implement this?  As of now, there's
no common attribute that the client could use to determine that the
checkboxes are related.  Theoretically, it could be done if the
checkboxes shared a common name.  But what would the UI look like?

My point is, no UA has implemented this and there's a working solution
used throughout the Web.  Let's use that solution.

April 22, 2005 - 08:00 : Bèr Kessels

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html is the one you are
looking for. See "Toggle checkboxes".

April 22, 2005 - 08:05 : Junyor

Checking all checkboxes on a page is not a viable solution for most
cases (though it may work here).

April 22, 2005 - 08:29 : moshe weitzman

It is silly to require users to install bookmarklets from 3rd party web
sites in order to easily use our pages. Every web mail application I've
used provides a 'check all' feature. This is not a "client hack". It is
ECMAscript, which is a web standard.  +1

April 22, 2005 - 11:40 : factoryjoe

Bookmarklets are not a viable solution when viewing a site on
kiosk/school web browser. +1 for this functionality, but I really think
that these scripts belong in a drupal utility.js file, similar to Rails'
prototype.js [1] file.

It also seems to me that there needs to be a bit more logic about where
this kind of "check all" | "deselect all" link shows up. As it is, I
couldn't tell if it gets added to the table header, footer, or shows up
after... I think tossing it in the admin UI makes good sense for now,
but I imagine that this would also be useful in more user-facing UIs.
[1]
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/file/trunk/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/javascripts/prototype.js