[drupal-devel] [task] Consistent return 'passive voice' in form_set_error() and drupal_set_message()

Stefan Nagtegaal Drupal-Devel at iStyledThis.nl
Sat Apr 23 10:40:01 UTC 2005

Op 23-apr-05 om 10:24 heeft puregin het volgende geschreven:

> On 22 Apr 2005, at 5:05 AM, stefan nagtegaal wrote:
>
>> Issue status update for http://drupal.org/node/15595
>>
>> Project:      Drupal
>> Version:      cvs
>> Component:    base system
>> Category:     tasks
>>
>> Setting status to Patch.
>>

>> stefan nagtegaal
>>

>> Previous comments:
>> --
>>
>> January 14, 2005 - 15:59 : bertboerland at www.drop.org
>>
>> *My* drupal not *Yours*!
>>

>> I think that when one addresses the user or the administrator of a
>> site, it is best to do this outside in instead of inside out. So when
>> in the documentation the coder is referring to the site of the
>> administrator, this site should be called "your site" (/inside out/)
>> but "my site" (/outside in/). There are numours examples where the
>> text
>> in referring to "your"where "my"would be apopriate [1]
>>

>> There used to be some "your" in the userinterface for the enduser as
>> well, but that has been solved in 4.5. Before that you had "my
>> account", but "track your postings". This has now all beens replaced
>> by
>> "my"and "mine". If everybody agrees, lets also corect this for the
>> administrator as well; my administrator, not yours ;-)
>>

>> [1] examples:
>> admin/logs/referrers "...that point to your web site."
>> admin/settings "General configuration options for your site"

>> --
>>
>> April 19, 2005 - 18:36 : stefan nagtegaal
>>
>> We should consistently use the 'passive voice', when returning
>> messages
>> using form_set_error() and drupal_set_message().

>> --
>>
>> April 22, 2005 - 14:05 : stefan nagtegaal

>> consistency part 1 of 2 (51.16 KB)
>>
>> first patch of 2 to make the drupal_set_message(), form_set_error()
>> and
>> watchdog() messages more consistent.
>>

>> please review/comment and apply..
>>

> For some reason, when I click on the patch link, I get a
> 'Page Not Found' error.
That's probably because of the spaces inside the filename.. I'll try to
remember that for patches uploaded in the future..

> Looking at the patch on the issues page, I have a couple of
> comments.
>
>     Generally, the passive voice messages read well, though they are
> longer than the
> messages they replace.   There's some inconsistency with single and
> double quoting
> of strings - is this deliberate?
Well, I thought we prefer single quotes above double, but when we have
to escape a single quote inside text, it is better to use double quotes
instead.
So, I thought t("I can't take it anymore!") is prefered above t('I
can\'t take it anymore!') because the last one is using an extra
character for escaping.

> <snippet>...</snippet>
I knew this was going to happen due to my poor English grammar, but
while noone was taking this, I had to do it myself..

> I'm quit here for now...   I didn't realize that it was quite so long
> when I started!
>
> Perhaps it would be easier if I grab the files from CVS, apply the
> patch file, edit, and submit the
> new patch?   Or would you prefer if I continue in this way and supply
> some justification for
> my changes?
If you would like todo that, be my guest.. Your English grammar is a
lot better than mine, and it is something that really should happen..
Atm we use "You ...", "It ...", "The ..."-forms of grammar which should
be unified to one form.
This should also be documented somewhere in the coding guidelines, so
we can point people at that while they had written new patches that do
not respect this way of returning messages.

The functions drupal_set_message(), form_set_error() and watchdog()
needs to be updated first. After that, we can - together with the
documentation team (?) - improve the helptext..

>     Regards, Djun
Well, thanks for the time you spent on reviewing my patch! I will truly
assure you that I'll review your patch with the same precision as you
did with mine..

Thank you very much for your interest and if you need any help with
patching or whatever, I would be pleased to help you and feel free to
contact me..

Kind regards,

Stefan Nagtegaal.