[drupal-devel] extended pings

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Sun Apr 24 19:51:45 UTC 2005

Gabor, you beat me to it :P

Related info here:
http://bobwyman.pubsub.com/main/2005/04/basic_ping_is_b.html

On 24-Apr-05, at 12:37 PM, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:

> Since Drupal only pings pingomatic now, and pingomatic supports
> extended pings, this change might be as simple as migrating to using
> extended pings only.

yep. One thing, though. We have many, many different RSS feeds in
Drupal, and that's what an extended ping does: notify which RSS feed is
related to the new/updated post.

So, how to handle this? If a node is updated, you have several cases:
1. node is promoted and part of the main node/feed
2. node is part of one or more taxonomies and/or special feeds
(blog/feed, blog/x/feed, article/feed, etc.) -- all associated feeds
are updated
3. node is not part of a taxonomy or special feed -- node is updated,
but no notification is sent (note: in the past, I hacked in a
tracker/feed that showed ALL updates/comments/etc. -- which would catch
this case)

But in general...yes, Drupal should be sending extended pings to
Ping-o-matic.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com