[drupal-devel] [feature] support for path alias chains in drupal_get_path_alias.

aws drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Apr 24 22:20:04 UTC 2005

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      4.6.0
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

This is a small patch for function drupal_get_path_alias in
bootstrap.inc.

This allows a path to have a non-cyclic chain of aliases, and enables
the path alias finder to walk up the chain to the top level alias.

For example:

 taxonomy_menu/4/1/50    | topics/whats_new/events
 taxonomy/term/50        | taxonomy_menu/4/1/50

Now I can have all references to taxonomy/term/50 automatically point
to the top-level alias, topics/whats_new/events.

I am also posting a patch against Pathauto module which creates these
multi-links automatically for categories when taxonomy_menu is present.
 (I will add followup with a link to that patch).

Note that the inverse case (alias => path) is *not* necessary (in fact
it would break the intention of this patch...

---

There are several other ways to accomplish this; all of which are more
involved.  YMMV.  I won't be insulted if this patch is rejected. :)

An alternative solution would be to allow the destination column to
accept non-unique entries.  This would also require some sort of
weighting otherwise the final resolution would be indefinate.

A second alternative would be to have drupal generate taxonomy links in
a more general manner, so that the taxonomy_menu module could change all
the taxonomy links via the proper hooks.

A *third* alternative would be to fix the menu system so that it does
not require nested paths in the hiearchy, this way taxonomy_menu would
not need to create its own paths.

aws