[drupal-devel] DrupalForge?

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 07:29:57 UTC 2005

> Well, when I first noticed the new mamboserver.com site, it looked too
> drupal.org-ish to me... and it still is. Look at the sidebar, the
> footer, the blurbs on the homepage :)

I haven't been over to mamboserver.com for a while, but I just checked
it out now to see what's changed. And you're right, it DOES look
drupal.org-ish.

In fact, the 'what is mambo...' blurb and the tabs are so similar to
drupal.org, that I suspect they've copied us. In which case... COOL!
Mambo is copying Drupal! We're being used as a benchmark for a site
with double our user base!

However, I agree that Mambo's site design still looks decidedly
corporate and upmarket, while Drupal's site design clearly says
'community project' and 'work in progress'. I tried to think of some
other sites that have similar designs, for comparative purposes, and
this is what I came up with:
mamboserver.com -> apple.com
drupal.org -> lego.com

Take a look at the pairs of sites side-by-side, and you'll see what I
mean. The similarities are mainly in the choice of colour. Maybe the
Drupal community should look into making little plastic toys, just as
a fundraiser on the side? :-). Clean, modular, accessible, semantic,
usable, and [free... err, I mean...] reasonably priced plastic toys,
of course.