[drupal-devel] Re: Allowing non-techs to do cool things

puregin puregin at puregin.org
Tue Apr 26 08:21:16 UTC 2005

On 25 Apr 2005, at 6:18 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Chris Messina wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that a primary barrier to this goal is the intrinsic
>> hackability of Drupal. Whereas a number of other systems (okay, I'm
>> thinking of WordPress) expose a lot of "surface area" to relatively
>> unskilled hackers to do cool and interesting things, Drupal's
>> hackability is buried beneath a layer of complexity that makes it hard
>> for folks like me who are interested in, but not capable of, making
>> cool and exciting things happen.
>
> I am inclined to say that this is a Good Thing(tm). You can make cool
> and exciting themes isn't that enough?
>
>> I don't have a clear idea of how to fix this, but I'm suggesting
>> that we think about ways of pulling Drupal's cooler features up to
>> the surface where making hacks are more accessible...
>
> All the hooks are exposed to the outside and can be perused by modules.
> I don't see how you'd pull them more to the outside.
>
>> one way to do this *might* be to offer module and theme editors in
>> the admin section... making it possible to work on and improve
>> modules without having to interact with a server... while many in
>> the Drupal community might not be directly interested in this
>> feature,
>
> Count me in. A lot of in-the-foot-shooting would be ensured.
> Programming isn't just for anybody.

     Thinking by analogy with Unix, there's many more people who
write interesting and useful shell scripts than there are C programmers.
The power of being able to script things together avoids the
need for a good number of programs, and a good deal of programming.

So, programming may not be for everyone, but the right system design
can let non-programmers do what they need, allows programmers
great control over their code, and extends the reach of any given
program to applications far beyond what the original scope might  have
been.

     (But yes, we do shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes, too :)

> Do you have any idea how popular the theme_editor module is that you
> ship with CS?
>
>> I think it would do a great deal for bubbling up the ability to hack
>> on do cool things with Drupal.
>
> I think what you are after is some kind of macro language. Mathias had
> once created a metatags module. It had a sort of library of predefined
> functions accessible through tags that users could put into any node
> without being worried about breaking something.
> It was never very popular with developers (why bother of you can write
> php pages?) but might be just the thing you need.

      Just what I was thinking.  Something along the lines of Groovy or
Beanshell for Java.   Perhaps a JavaScript library giving access to
Drupal components,  state and services?

--
Djun M. Kim, Director
djun.kim at cielosystems.com
Cielo Systems Inc.
http://www.cielosystems.com
Strategic Software Research                     Tel:   (604) 739-3941
302 - 1298 10th Avenue West                     FAX:   (604) 739-3943
Vancouver, BC, V6H 1J4                          Mobile:(778) 895-1379