[drupal-devel] [feature] Per-User Input-Format Preferences

moshe weitzman drupal-devel at drupal.org
Mon Aug 1 04:27:42 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26036
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26036

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    filter.module
 Category:     feature requests

to clarify, i recommend a persistant hidden user preference, not a
session variable.

moshe weitzman

Previous comments:

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:28:46 +0000 : jchris

Here's a patch to filter.module that allows users to set their preferred
input format, when multiple formats are available.   A selection of
available formats is added to the user-account editing page.   The
user's selection is persistent and is used to initialize the
input-format selector on the node-editing pages.  This patch requires
an addition of an 'input_format' field to the {users} table:

   alter table users add input_format int(4) NOT NULL default '0';

I'm not 100% sure I did this correctly.  I'm no PHP coder.  Anyway, it
seems to work.

Patch file is attached.

Enjoy.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:40:46 +0000 : moshe weitzman

i like the convenience of this ... for this sort of pref, i prefer that
we simply remember what the user chose as an input format the last
time. that the most natural way to use this. who wants to go totheir
profile page? i propose to do away with the UI on the profile form but
i don't feel strongly about that.

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:33:43 +0000 : jchris

/i like the convenience of this ... for this sort of pref, i prefer that
we simply remember what the user chose as an input format the last time.
that the most natural way to use this. who wants to go totheir profile
page? i propose to do away with the UI on the profile form but i don't
feel strongly about that./

I agree, just remembering the previous selection would be nice though
perhaps harder to implement (for me anyway).  However, keeping the
profile-page UI as well might allow for the extension of having
per-node-type input-format preferences as well (e.g. wiki for blog,
html for book) though there may be no real demand for that.  Of course,
I never let a lack of demand deter me.  :-)

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:10:21 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

I am with Moshe, please add this to a session variable. There are
already lots of settings on the user profiles that users do not care
about.