[drupal-devel] RFC: drupalversions.module

Jose A. Reyero jareyero at wanadoo.es
Mon Aug 1 14:18:48 UTC 2005

Matt Westgate wrote:

>On Thursday 28 July 2005 09:59 am, eric Farris wrote:
>

>>I'm
>>convinced there's a need for some sort of standardized method of
>>providing release version information, and I'd love to see that, umm,
>>hashed out. :)
>>

>With my contributed modules I simply print out the CVS Revision tag as part of
>the title on the settings page.
>
>drupal_set_title(t('TinyMCE settings (%revision)', array('%revision' =>
>'$Revision: 1.35 $')));
>
>I then ask for this information when users file bug reports.
>
>While crude, it's easy for folks to find and for me to identify version
>incompatibilities.
>
>Matt

I think Matt's is an elegant solution to get revision info. But that
info, though useful, can be sometimes misguiding:
- My sites are in my own svn repository, which I update from time to
time following Drupal releases, so I have my own revision numbers
- When you have a module with more than one file, that revision numbers
will only increase when updating the main module file

What I'd like to have is some module_info hook, that could provide all
this info and more. It would admit params like
- 'revision' to get cvs revision as Matt's module does
- 'version' to get a manually assigned module version, that would be
assigned by moudle maintainers following Drupal's main versions, like
4.6.2.10, where the first three digits would be Drupal version, and the
following ones, could be form module versions/revisions
-.... maybe more, for dependencies, etc...