[drupal-devel] more core comitters

Jose A. Reyero jareyero at wanadoo.es
Mon Aug 1 14:50:26 UTC 2005

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 30 Jul 2005, at 18:28, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> The patch is live on drupal.org.  What remains to be done is
>> defining new status values.  Let's do that now.  Here are some that
>> could be useful:
>>
>>   1. Needs code review
>>   2. Needs testing
>>   3. Needs benchmarking
>>   4. Needs update/work
>>   5. Needs feedback
>

> OK, I setup 3 new categories:
>
>   1. patch (code needs review)
>   2. patch (code needs work)
>   3. patch (ready to be committed)
>
> We can refine or reword these later on.  Right now, all patches
> default to 'patch (code needs review)' so we'll want to work our way
> to the patch queue and update the patches according to the new fields.
>
> Thoughts?

These new options sure will be an improvement. The problem that still
persist is the cycle of updating/reviewing/testing/approving, with some
issues becoming long long threads to read, and also who takes the
responsibility to update status for a patch, and whether you can trust
that person's judgement or not.

One way to address this could be approaching it as a rating system
better than a simple 'status' field. I'm thinking of a 'moderation
queue' like system, in which several users/reviewers could post their
votes on a patch. Then you -or someone reviewing patches for final
'commit' could see it like:

- 6 people are against this specific feature (list...)
- 5 people thinks patch needs work (list: user1, user2,...)
- 4 people thinks patch is ready to be committed (list....)

Reviewers should be able too, to change their 'vote' on the patch once
its been updated.
Votes like 'ready to be committed' could be restricted, by role, to a
reduced number of users. Or votes could be weighted depending on some
'trust level' assigned to each users.

I know this 'rating system' wont be easy to implement. But once its up
and running it coul be the killer feature for speeding up patch
reviewing. You could also have some filter system, so only patches that
already have a number of +1 reviews will have to catch your attention.