[drupal-devel] [feature] Parse atom feeds

Dries drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Aug 3 16:14:20 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/13941
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/13941

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    aggregator.module
 Category:     feature requests

If this is all it takes to parse Atom feeds (to some extend), I'm all
for it. Code looks OK.  Set to 'ready to be committed' after some
testing.

Dries

Previous comments:

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:26:00 +0000 : Capnj

I've seen mention elsewhere on drupal.org but don't see a feature
request, so here goes.
The news aggregator is a great piece of Drupal as far as I'm concerned
and I'd sure like to see it read all the sources out there, have the
'blog this' function, and also have a tool for browsers to generate a
blog entry from a web page (like MT had).

Is that a big enough request?   LOL

Thanks for all that everyone does here. Great stuff!

gil

Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:38:31 +0000 : drumm

RSS 2.0 feeds should work in 4.5.0 and earlier.

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:04:32 +0000 : georgehotelling

I've hacked Magpie [1] support into the Drupal aggregator, so it can
support Atom.  If you have a Drupal site and want the code, you can get
it from http://george.hotelling.net/projects/magpie-aggregator-4.5.2.tgz
[2]

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to create a patch or what, but I needed
this for ArborBlogs.com [3] and figured some other people would benefit
from it.
[1] http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://george.hotelling.net/projects/magpie-aggregator-4.5.2.tgz
[3] http://www.arborblogs.com/

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:04:42 +0000 : Prometheus6

Very nice.

I hacked aggregator.module for 4.6 using your module as a guide...well,
frankly by ripping out great chunks of code for my use.

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:21:11 +0000 : Boris Mann

Can someone roll a patch for this? Would be a good addition for 4.7 now
that Atom is at 1.0.

Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:49:42 +0000 : Prometheus6

A patch would require the Magpie include files and wholly restructures
the way the feeds are parsed...the Magpie code would handle all the
feeds, not just Atom.

That said, the attached zip file has the necessary includes and a patch
to CVS.

Fri, 29 Jul 2005 03:36:59 +0000 : Steven

Magpie RSS duplicates a lot of functionality that is already in Drupal.
We decided a long time ago that we would not use it. Porting Atom
parsing into the current aggregator can't be that hard.

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:38:53 +0000 : Prometheus6

Since I'm messing around with the aggregator module anyway...

I developed this around Atom 0.3 feeds this weekend, but I don't see
anything in Atom 1.0 that should break it.

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:00:50 +0000 : Eaton

+1 on that patch. Running it now on my test site and everything looks
great.

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:24:54 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

a small issue, whe do not use
if ($data) $items[$item][$tag] .= $data;
please just use
if ($data) {
  $items[$item][$tag] .= $data;
}

Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:18:54 +0000 : Prometheus6

Not a problem. Here's the corrections.