[drupal-devel] [feature] JS-based file upload
drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Aug 9 01:39:45 UTC 2005
Issue status update for
Post a follow up:
Category: feature requests
Assigned to: Steven
Reported by: Steven
Updated by: Steven
Status: patch (code needs review)
Attachment: http://drupal.org/files/issues/progress.gif (1.22 KB)
This image belongs in the misc directory.
Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:13:03 +0000 : Steven
Attachment: http://drupal.org/files/issues/jsupload.patch (14.71 KB)
It does this by redirecting the submission of the form to a hidden
<iframe> when you click "Attach" (we cannot submit data through Ajax
directly because you cannot read file contents from JS for security
Once the file is submitted, the upload-section of the form is updated.
Things to note:
* The feature degrades back to the current behaviour without JS.
* If there are errors with the uploaded file (disallowed type, too big,
...), they are displayed at the top of the file attachments fieldset.
* Though the hidden-iframe method sounds dirty, it's quite compact and
is 100% implemented in .js files. The drupal.js api makes it a snap to
* I included some minor improvements to the Drupal JS API and code.
* I added an API drupal_call_js() to bridge the PHP/JS gap: it takes a
function name and arguments, and outputs a <script> tag. The kicker is
that it preserves the structure and type of arguments, so e.g. PHP
associative arrays end up as objects in JS.
* I also included a progressbar widget  that I wrote for drumm's
ongoing update.php work. It includes Ajax status updating/monitoring,
but it is only used as a pure throbber in this patch. But as the code
was already written and is going to be used in the near future, I left
that part in. It's pretty small ;). If PHP supports ad-hoc upload info
in the future like Ruby on Rails, we can implement that in 5 minutes.
More information about the drupal-devel