[drupal-devel] [bug] Menu system requires a local task to have more than 1 child in order to create secondary local tasks

killes drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Aug 10 17:19:06 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/17022
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/17022

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    menu system
 Category:     bug reports

There is a patch after all.

killes at www.drop.org

Previous comments:

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:49:34 +0000 : andremolnar

This is a minor bug.  The menu system requires a local task to have more
than 1 child in order to create secondary local tasks.  In other words
if a local task only had 1 child, menu system would not create a
secondary local task menu item.

This patch fixes that with the addition of 1 character in the code.

andre

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:52:09 +0000 : Dries

I'm pretty sure this patch would break some pages.  Some modules have a
tab and a subtab that show the same page.  The tracker page, for
example, relies on the fact that the subtab does not get shown when
there is only one subtab.  However, when there are two or more subtabs,
they are being visualized.  I guess this needs some more thought.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:18:25 +0000 : andremolnar

hmmm... Well, I certainly don't think that this should be the expected
behaviour of the menu system.   A child menu item is a child menu item,
and I would expect that it show up if I create that child in hook_menu.
When patching user.module it took me over half an hour to track down
this bug (a single missing character was easy to over look).

Nor do I personally think that the menu system should accomodate
exceptions of the sort described in tracker.module.  It should be the
module's job to decide when to create a local task in hook_menu using
logic local to the module.

IMHO if applying this 'breaks' modules - so be it.  It would force a
necissary code/logic improvement in those modules.

andre

Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:18:42 +0000 : Dries

Well, the problem is that the tracker module can't determine whether to
add the subtask.  It should only be added when another module adds a
second subtask.  I'll explore this some more.

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:55:26 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

Dries doesn't like it as is.