[drupal-devel] [wanted] mail queue

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Aug 17 11:23:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 17 Aug 2005, at 12:38, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> > And if you just need to send a few hundred mails, you probably will do
> > fine with user_mail() and a cronjob.
>
> True, and that is probably what the default/initial backend should
> look like.

Glad we agree.

>  Right now, all these modules implement their own "cronjob
> + user_mail" function.  Let's make this available as a service.

Ok

> In addition we could provide a centralized way of dealing with HTML
> mail,

That is really unrelated and nothing I will work on beyond
htmlstriptags(). :)

> a mechanism to throttle the rate of outgoing e-mails, a mechanism to
> convert HTML mails to plain text,

Can the filter sytem be used for this?

> and - in future - maybe a mechanism to track and report back bounces.

This is in fact rather easy to implement if you use mailhandler to access
the designated bounces mailbox. The hard part is to figure out which
address actually bounced. :-/

> As you said, proper mailing is hard.  Hence the need to make this a
> specialized service and to extract this from the individual modules.
> Hence my call for people with experience, or for people willing to
> learn more about this.  I don't expect this to be implemented
> overnight, but it would be nice if some people could explore our
> options, see what other projects have done, prototype some code, etc.

If people abstain from nagging about html mail I could work on that after
the revisions patch is done.

Cheers,
	Gerhard