[drupal-devel] [bug] No more floating node admin groups

Dries drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Aug 18 08:37:35 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/26311
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/26311

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node system
 Category:     bug reports

Shouldn't we clean up the generated HTML a bit too?  If the node edit
form becomes a 'standard form', we don't have to generate a bunch of
CSS-tags.  (This is also something the form API will take care of in
future so it doesn't hurt to remove the extra tags for now.)

Dries

Previous comments:

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:56:49 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

For me -konqueror user- the floats on the "admin groups" of the node
edit  forms was always annoying. The textfields were inaccessible.
But witth the collapsible parts they becme even moer annyoing: They now
jump around on teh page when collapsed or folded out.

This patch simply removes all the floats frolm these groups.

I beleive theis looks and feels much better. It appears more stable on
your page. It feels more like one expects: only a single row of
collapses, instead of some odd row with columns.

And last but not least: that part was amoungst the hardests to theme. I
think this is a good moment to get rid of them.

Oh, and it removes quite some code/cruft from drupal.css :)

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:04:14 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

here is an example of the jumping fieldsets: A complete set of
screenshots can be found on my computer:
http://webschuur.dyndns.org/DMP/collapsible/

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:06:20 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

and here is how it looks with the patch.

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:59:32 +0000 : Thox

This seems a fair temporary fix for Konqueror, although it will affect
all browsers. In the long term we need to improve the layout of the
form itself.

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:22:49 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

AllthoughI presented it as a fix for myself and konqueror. I meant it as
a fix in general. IMO the floated collapsed forms look and feel strange,
on konqueror particularly, bu in firefox too. Having them underneath
eachother is much nicer and friendlier. Worpress has that too: one
collapse per line.

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:55:37 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

This pathc still applies.
IMO we *really* do not ned floating elements with the current new
collapsing form elements. So can someone please comment on this patch?
If you think you really need the floating form elements, please tell
why. And if you dont think you need it, please try and comment on this
patch.

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:35:44 +0000 : moshe weitzman

I like the compactness of the current approach ... If you feel that
themers will not know how to override this, then please add some
comments to drupal.css or elswhere.

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:41:26 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

the curertn floats have not other reason to be there, then leftovers
from teh pre-collapsible-era.
If we cannot do bettert then it is now, then at least removing the
floats makes it all behave better.

See the att. screenshot: the comment options are "lost", they are hard
to be found by a pesron scanning the UI.. The top-element does not fill
out the full width (just looks ugly and inconsistent) and
collapsing/uncollapsing makes this all behave even stranger.

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:24:34 +0000 : moshe weitzman

not sure why your 'author' group is so wide. what browser are you using.
try to reproduce in a different browser.

mine is compact and thus all the 3 groups fit nicely in 1 row.

maybe this patch is a good idea. i can't decide.

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:13:49 +0000 : Bèr Kessels

I use konqueror. Inded it does not behave this strange for FF/moz, nor
for IE6. But I remember that IE pre 6 had troubles with the floats too,
Not sure how they do now, with the collapses.

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:27:11 +0000 : Dries

This is about CVS, not 4.6.

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:25:28 +0000 : chx

Indeed it is about CVS, and should get in.

It is so very strange that we have three collapses in one row. Unless
you are used to the old, non-collapsed node edit form, you'll feel this
very strange. "I click on this, in the middle of nothing I can see a wad
of options... what??"

One collapse per row is better.