[drupal-devel] [feature] URL rewrite hook

Jose A Reyero drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Aug 18 11:11:42 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/29030
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/29030

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    base system
 Category:     feature requests

This second version is more limited, and wont be that useful, because in
case an alias exists, the rewritting is skipped.

IMHO, the aim for this patch should be allowing modules to add
information in the path or in the query string, for *all* the outgoing
urls. I was thinking of i18n module and language information, but this
can be useful for other modules too.

So please, let's stick to the previous version of the patch

Jose A Reyero

Previous comments:

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:39:12 +0000 : chx

I need a URL rewrite hook sometimes, here is an implementation, with
ample comments. I looked into arg() to see whether it needs a reset
parameter, and it does not, but it contained a minor bug, which is also
fixed.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:46:45 +0000 : chx

Performance boost.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:48:51 +0000 : Jose A Reyero

+1

This is really needed by i18n module, and maybe other modules could use
it to add some extra information in the query string.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:50:16 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

this seems just an evil plot to cater for the evil hack that i18n.module
is. --

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:57:23 +0000 : chx

killes, while I know you do not like the current implementation of i18n,
that module exists and even works. If you do not like the current
approach, you can always write a better one. And also, please note we
try to introduce non-i18n specific solutions this time.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:05:10 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

"it works" has never been a consideration in Drupal development, don't
let us start to use it. I don't need an i18n module. Had I had the urge
to write one, it would have been based on walkah's excellent start to be
seen here:

http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/walkah/translate_node/

I don't see anything non-i18n specific here. let us not pollute low
level functions such as url() with custom hacks.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:26:11 +0000 : Goba

Why extend url() and why not the alias retrieval functions? BTW at that
time it was decided that a single function should be used
(conf_url_rewrite()) and not a hook, because of performance reasons. If
you provide the functionality this was, then conf_url_rewrite() gets
confusing, and even meaningless if you do it in the alias retrieval
functions themselfs.

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:49:30 +0000 : chx

Goba is so right, that I was already working on it.