[drupal-devel] Drupal performance testing

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Fri Aug 19 00:07:48 UTC 2005

Hello, we, Trellon and CivicSpace Labs,  are doing Drupal performance
testing for a client.  We will be sharing the results with the
community.  We identified three areas to focus on for performance
testing.

1) First we would like to reduce the memory requirements of running
Drupal so that we can run more Apache processes.
-Please advise if there are particular configurations of Drupal that
you recommend to reduce memory usage.
-Are there particular contributed modules that we should avoid
because of memory issues.  We are looking at flexinode, event,
location, and event finder, as well as organic groups.
We are looking at Robert Douglas and Mike Gifford work on memory
profiling:  http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/
sandbox/robertdouglass/profiler/, and http://lists.drupal.org/
archives/drupal-devel/2005-08/msg00314.html
http://lists.drupal.org/archives/drupal-devel/2005-08/msg00347.html
http://lists.drupal.org/archives/drupal-devel/2005-08/msg00344.html

2) We would like implement a better caching strategy.  We are aware
of several implementations.  Once the site becomes an active
community of posters caching become less useful.
-We are planning on using Jeremy Andrews caching patch for testing.
-We would welcome other suggestions.

3)MySQL specific optimizations-  John Paul Ashenfelter is a very
experienced performance tuner and is heading up the scalability project.
-We are interesed in MySQL cache optimizations.
-In particular MySQL replication topologies as well as using the
Memory table type for some of the problematic data.
-If you have experience tuning large or high performance sites with
MySQL we would appreciate your insight.

We are looking at results from RPMs that have been turned for
scalability and security as defined here: http://www.sourcelabs.com/
SourceLabsApacheMySQLPHPTestResults.pdf.  This tells us that our
limitations are processors for PHP support and RAM for MySQL support
in the testing environment.

As always we need technical savvy people who can help with
documentation or are willing to help produce diagrams to prove to
potential users that Drupal can scale.

Your help and comments are appreciated.

Kieran