[drupal-devel] Mambo backwards compatability

Khalid B kbahey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 18:30:18 UTC 2005

The recent split of Mambo development has been covered in many places,
including Slashdot.

While reading the comments, I came across this post from someone who
develops for Mambo.

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=159398&cid=13350391

His gripe is that backwards compatibility breaks so often between
releases that modules become obsolete and unusable. This renders Mambo
useless as an application, but makes it useful as a framework for user
authentication and session management.

Compare this with what we sometimes break (the most recent example in
my mind is the statistics module which removed the capability of
tracking hosts, which quickly told me what pages a user have visited
and what referers, among other things in statistics).

There are lessons here to be learned I am sure.