[drupal-devel] form API

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Tue Aug 23 21:42:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 22:16 +0200, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> As might have seen, Adrian made the new form API available at http://
> drupal.org/node/29465.  I'd like to see the new form API included in
> core so please take the time to review/test Adrian's patch.  Ideally,
> apply the patch and update one or more core forms to take advantage
> of the new form API.  Like that, you help test the patch, familiarize
> yourself with the code, contribute back some needed changes, and
> you'll be able to provide constructive suggestions.  Please do.  Thanks.

I have taken a quick look, and I quite like it, except for a couple of
things. Remember I have only taken a quick look over my weeties so I may
be wrong.

I love the fact that that all the forms functions have been converted to
theme_*() functions. This will make it so good form theme developers. I
have been wanting this for years, but haven't had the time to do it.

but 2 things.

1. The current form_*() functions need to be modified so that they call
the same theme_*() functions.

2. The theme_textarea() does not call the hook_textarea() function. This
is a must esp. for people who use the wysiwyg editors. They would argue
that this is an essential function.

I hope my input is useful.

Gordon.