[drupal-devel] CCK Name Conflict

Boerland, Bert (PinkRoccade IT Management Consultant) bert.boerland at getronics.com
Wed Aug 24 12:17:32 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: drupal-devel-bounces at drupal.org

>> Dunno if y'all were aware, but Firefox has a new feature that goes by
>> CCK which might cause some confusion with the Drupal CCK:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cck/firefox/

> This isn't "new", relatively. I remember using IE 3's
> CCK to custom build an IE for some of my customers.

No not new indeed. TDM TLA's exists.

In 1989, a random of the journalistic persuasion asked hacker Paul Boutin "What do you think will be the biggest problem in computing in the 90s?" Paul's straight-faced response: "There are only 17,000 three-letter acronyms." (To be exact, there are 26^3 = 17,576.) [1]

To get -a bit- more on toppic, we could be more creative than having a TLA for a module or a very detailed explaining name. Every tried looking for a module that does "something" with taxonomy? There are at least 10 modules with taxonomy in its name [2].

Now its up to the developer of a module to name its child, but lets get a bit more creative. There is nothing wrong with calling a module like Taxonomy Access Controle, "Cats and Dogs Control". I installed "Markdown with SmartyPants" just because it smelled funny. I know that when its rather specific, it doesnt hurt to have desciptive names like ""Amazon Search" but we can do better than having a module named "Members".

Just imagine, Dries didnt came up with "Drupal" as a name but "CMS". [3] and [4]

[1] http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?TLA
[2] http://drupal.org/project/Modules
[3] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3Adrupal
[4] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Acms