[drupal-devel] [bug] PG_QUERY ERROR - LOCK TABLES - IMPLEMENTATION FAULT.

Cvbge drupal-devel at drupal.org
Thu Aug 25 21:43:27 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/22911
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/22911

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    database system
 Category:     bug reports

Please rollback your patch and either
a) use syntax LOCK TABLE name (dropping S and WRITE, if you say that
mysql support "LOCK")
b) apply my patch.

Postgres does not support WRITE part (as well as S part).
Also locking won't work without starting transaction.

You can do LOCK TABLE name only, but this lock is too excessive and
won't allow even SELECTs on locked table.

Cvbge

Previous comments:

Sun, 15 May 2005 14:34:48 +0000 : kinai

I get this error :

Warning: pg_query() [function.pg-query]: Query failed: ERROR: syntax
error on or near "cache" at character 13 in
/var/www/drupal/includes/database.pgsql.inc on line 45

Fatal error: ERROR: syntax error on or near "cache" at character 13
query: LOCK TABLES cache WRITE in
/var/www/drupal/includes/database.pgsql.inc on line 62

Someone could solve this problem ?

Thanks
kinaï

Sun, 15 May 2005 15:19:26 +0000 : kinai

The SQL Command : LOCK TABLES like used in bootstrap.inc is only
specified for MySQL, not for PostgreSQL.
The UNLOCK TABLES SQL command is not implemented in PostgreSQL.

Someone could solve this problem ?

Thanks,
Kinaï

Sat, 28 May 2005 23:34:03 +0000 : bd_csmc

this issue still exists, i've verified it on a fresh cvs install w/
pgsql 8

Sat, 28 May 2005 23:39:52 +0000 : bd_csmc

i fixed the problem in my installation, by changing the syntax to:

LOCK TABLE {cache}

it's table, not tables. and i dropped the 'write' bit.

furthermore, pgsql does not support the UNLOCK command, so i had to
comment the unlock tables command. unless there are more lock/unlock
commands elsewhere in the code, this works fine for me.

according to pgsql docs, UNLOCK is automatically performed at
transaction end, which is why there is no such command.

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:29:25 +0000 : Cvbge

The patch adds two functions to lock and unlock tables.

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:57:43 +0000 : Cvbge

Updated, without unnecessary changes.

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:07:18 +0000 : chx

Cvbge says he tested pgsql, I applied to a mysql one, saved system
settings and looks OK.

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:31:53 +0000 : Cvbge

Worked, yet not worked ...
This version does not use
<?php
 db_query("{$table}" )
?>

 syntax. I promise I won't do that again!

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:10:07 +0000 : Dries

MySQL is happy with the singular 'LOCK TABLE' (rather than 'LOCK
TABLES') which should work with both MySQL and PostgreSQL.  Committed
that changes to CVS.