[drupal-devel] [feature] Remove ?>

webchick drupal-devel at drupal.org
Fri Aug 26 19:08:33 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/29385
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/29385

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    other
 Category:     feature requests

Even better would be something like:

// end tag intentionally omitted - see
http://lists.drupal.org/archives/drupal-devel/2005-08/msg00648.html

Note: 2 "t"s in omitted.

This would stop both the "Hey, you guys forgot to put ?>s at the end of
your files!" as well as the "Hey, WHY is the end tag intentionally
ommitted?"

The only problem is that's now an extra ~100 bytes X however many core
files there are + contrib module files, etc.

I agree that this information definitely needs to be available (and in
a very prominent place) in order to address forthcoming
questions/concerns, but I'm not sure if appending to the end of each
file is necessarily the best way...

webchick

Previous comments:

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:37:25 +0000 : chx

I finally decided that it's best to remove all ?> from the end of all
files. I set this to ready to be commited as there is not a single line
of code which is modified and we have debated this to death on the devel
list.

TODO: update the coding style guidelines.

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:55:21 +0000 : Uwe Hermann

Patch applies, seems to work (a quick check trying various things on a
test-site succeeded).

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:13:51 +0000 : Dries

Committed to HEAD.  Marking this 'active' until the coding guidelines
have been updated.

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:22:10 +0000 : chx

I have not patched *.php so that templates won't get hurt. But this
meant a few files are left out... here.

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:11:14 +0000 : Thomas Ilsche

What do you think about leaving a comment at the end of every file like

// end tag intentionally omited

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:47:36 +0000 : Uwe Hermann

+1. This will prevent lots of questions in the forums...

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:57:04 +0000 : Morbus Iff

No, it won't. It'll just turn "why is the thing missing" to "so, uh,
what's the reason it''s missing?" Intent has nothing to do with
explanation. If we include a comment like this, we should include a
page in the docs explaining exactly why, and then include that URL in
the comment. Only then will it pre-empt questions.