[drupal-devel] [feature] Multiple simple nodes

chx drupal-devel at drupal.org
Sun Aug 28 21:50:58 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/29794
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/29794

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node system
 Category:     feature requests

Also, Dries said that he'd like to see "create $type content" instad of
'create '. $type .' content'. Who am I disagree with easier to read and
shorter code?

chx

Previous comments:

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:34:39 +0000 : chx

Instead of page, story etc let's have a module with which you can add
simple body only nodes. At least moshe and I frequently copy
story.module to have a new simple module. For example, event needs
this. For permissions it's great to have multiple node types. So I
downloaded a copy of content.module from CCK, pressed delete a lot,
copied hook_form from story and then rename the stuff to
simplenode.module. Then I reviewed the thing but it was really not
much, so credit goes to JonBob and jvandyk.

MySQL is:

CREATE TABLE node_type (
  type_name varchar(31) NOT NULL default '',
  label varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  description mediumtext NOT NULL,
  help mediumtext NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (type_name)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:44:09 +0000 : chx

To save a couple hundred bytes of code and also a lot in DB I removed
hard caching of node types. It's surely needed for CCK, not for us.

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:02:49 +0000 : kbahey

+1.

This is something needed a lot and will save a lot of code duplication,
and tricks like two stub event sumodules.

since CCK will not make it to 4.7, this is the way to go.

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:03:24 +0000 : Cvbge

Please change the file name extension, as now it's hard to download.

Maybe we could make type_name longer? 64 or even 128 seems practical
(hell, it's VARCHAR, there should be no difference between 31 and 255).

I've skimmed sql part of module, you do INSERT INTO {node_type}
(type_name, label, description) VALUES ('%s', '%s', '%s'), what about
help column? It's NOT NULL, has no DEFAULT and you don't provide any
value for it.

The SELECT * FROM {node_type} nt WHERE 1 ORDER BY nt.type_name ASC
won't work in postgres, you need to change WHERE 1 to for example WHERE
1=1. Why do you need WHERE anyway?

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:04:31 +0000 : Eaton

+1 I'm very much in favor of it. Already using it in a site I'm mocking
up.

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:16:08 +0000 : chx

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:21:14 +0000 : jvandyk

Cvbge, no need to make type_name longer. We just changed this [1] to go
from 8 to 32 chars.

Maybe you're thinking of the label field, which is already 255.

Please keep this as compatible as possible with CCK. Download CCK from
CVS, add a new content type and see how it works.
[1] http://drupal.org/node/27985

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:39:18 +0000 : chx

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:47:15 +0000 : Cvbge

@#6:
I was thinking about type_name (as posted in the first issue post). I
assume that it's displayed somewhere on the page. If it is shown to
normal user, one who browses the web page, it contains/can contain
informative content. As such, I think we should not limit the admin to
31 characters.
If it is not shown to users, then 31 characters is probably enough.

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:01 +0000 : jvandyk

type_name is the internal name. It is used in urls like node/add/foo
where type_name is foo. The foo content type also has a friendly name
called label. Note the second column in the table. The label is used
when displaying to the user.

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:48:26 +0000 : chx

Upon Dries word, this module is called content. I have fiddled with
field names and such to be more in line with current node.module.