[drupal-devel] [task] Usability: Upload module needs a 'default' maxfile size setting

Souvent22 drupal-devel at drupal.org
Tue Aug 30 20:01:53 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/30025
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/30025

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    upload.module
 Category:     tasks

Tried patch. Seems to work ok. +1

Souvent22

Previous comments:

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:15:02 +0000 : m3avrck

Problem: I've enabled upload.module I then later assign a few roles to
be able to upload files. All of a sudden this new, hidden setting
appears in Settings > Upload .. max file size and total file size for
*each* role that has this capability. Hmm, good thing I decided to
check back there! But where did those defaults come from, hmm.

Fix: There should be a 'default' setting in Settings > Upload for max
file size and total file size for *all* roles. Then, when I create a
role and assign it upload permissions, it should inherit these
defaults, which shouldn't be hardcode into Drupal anyways (as they are
now). However, after I assign this permission, override settings should
appear, as they currently do.

Benefits: If I assign uploads to 20 different roles I can have default
setting for them all instead of having to worry about changing them
all. Also, this fixes the obviously usability problem and makes this
module make more sense which is always a +1 :)

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:20:59 +0000 : m3avrck

Correction, there should also be a default setting for extensions as
well.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:49:10 +0000 : m3avrck

Ok I've created a patch which fixes this problem. Thorougly test here,
please test and let me know! This certainly does simplify the
out-of-box experience with the upload.module.

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:11:20 +0000 : m3avrck

Fixed a small bug caught by mozillman in IRC.