[drupal-devel] Drupal performance testing

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Tue Aug 30 23:23:29 UTC 2005

Here is a summary of advice:
1. Memory profiling.
-Look at the size of the code in a module
-Look at Robert Douglas's profiler module: http://cvs.drupal.org/
viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/robertdouglass/profiler/
-Look at Karoly's split patch:

2. MySQL
-Try MySQL memory Cache
-Implement MySQL replication topologies to support more postings

3. Caching
-Get a better heuristic for cache_clear_all() function than ignoring
19 out of 20 calls.
-Get results from Jeremy Andrews fuzzy logic caching patch
-Get an experienced Drupal Admin to look at the traffic patterns.
You might have a rogue crawler searching everything and not taking
advantage of your caching.

4. PHP tools
-Use the opcode cache: http://drupal.org/node/2603
-Test eaccelerator: http://eaccelerator.net/

5. Drupal specific
- Test node access with Organic Groups under a heavy load
-Consider Gerhard's idea to base the invalidation of caching on
whether the new version of a cached page is actually different from
the cached page.  Get block configuration to return the path patterns
where a particular block
appears and to introduce a cache hook into modules.

Cheers,
Kieran