[drupal-devel] [bug] node revisions should only be viewable by admins

jakeg drupal-devel at drupal.org
Wed Aug 31 13:59:16 UTC 2005

Issue status update for
http://drupal.org/node/30098
Post a follow up:
http://drupal.org/project/comments/add/30098

 Project:      Drupal
 Version:      cvs
 Component:    node system
 Category:     bug reports

good point #2 morbis, but the revisions tab isn't accessible to normal
users anyway... they only get to see the revisions if they know the URL
to get there (?revision=x in 4.6; /revisions/x in head)

but i agree that its definitely better with the extra permissions

jakeg

Previous comments:

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:36:19 +0000 : killes at www.drop.org

With or without the revisions patch, every user who can access content
can access old revisions. I think this is a bug because why would you
need to see old revisions if you cannot change them or make them the
current revision?

The attached patch fixes this and lets only users with "administer
nodes" permission see old revs as you need this permission to change
revisiosn to be the current one.

One might make a case for introducing new "view revisions" and "set
revisions" perms. You woud need those if you wanted to mimic a wiki
with Drupal.

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:55:14 +0000 : jakeg

+1

I would also like to see the extra permissions added if possible:

'view node revisions' - just for viewing node revisions

'administer node revisions' - to delete node revisions or set them as
default revision (i.e. current revision) for a node

I think this patch is important because e.g. if a revision is made
because sensitive information was included in a past revision, such as
a phone number, plain text email address (someone stupid didn't know
about spammers or the contact form) then these should definitely NOT be
accessible, and it would often be desirable to create a new revision to
a node rather than to edit the current copy without creating a
revision.

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:55:28 +0000 : Morbus Iff

I disagree. I see revisions as a means of updating a document for the
users. If a user has read the document, then sees that a revision has
been made, I'd want to provide him with some sort of diff that shows
him exactly what, as opposed to making him read the whole blasted thing
over and over again. In essence, I want a a wiki diff between revisions
(for example) [1]. Putting this permission in place would restrict my
ability to do that.
[1]
http://gamegrene.com/wiki/?title=WhereIsWhere&curid=927&diff=0&oldid=0&rcid=4785

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:57:15 +0000 : Morbus Iff

Note to self: actually read the whole report before commenting.

-1 to JUST this patch. +1 to view/set revisions.