[drupal-devel] Move #drupal to #drupal-devel and #drupal-support to #drupal?

Steven Wittens steven at acko.net
Wed Aug 31 17:47:47 UTC 2005

I am in Gerhard's camp and also believe IRC-based support is a rubbish
idea. The 'solution' of making the chat logs public won't solve a thing,
because no-one who is too lazy to read a topic will go through the
trouble of actually digging through a chat log (which is a couple orders
of magnitude more work).

- #drupal is the place where most new people would enter. Do we want the
first sight of Drupal chat to be a bustling hub of development activity,
or do we want it to be cesspit of repetitive support questions whose
life-span is measured in minutes?

- #drupal has always been about developers meeting and talking. By
making #drupal a support channel, we are saying that providing support
for our users is more important than developing the software. That
statement offends me: I develop for personal benefit; to extend my
knowledge, hone my skills and for the satisfaction of creating something
valuable.

- if people are vaguely interested in Drupal, they will idle in #drupal,
not #drupal-devel. Thus, it is a barrier to entry and shields
development from public eyes. What do we have more trouble with:
attracting new users, or attracting new developers? Hint: it's not the
first.

- If users are frustrated because they see a bunch of people chatting
yet unwilling to answer their questions, perhaps they shouldn't assume
that information is free and that somehow, knowledgable people have a
duty to inform the ignorant.

Steven