[drupal-devel] Move #drupal to #drupal-devel and #drupal-support to #drupal?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Aug 31 18:51:55 UTC 2005

I'd support this idea.  +1

First of all, as others have mentioned, #project and #project-devel is a much
more common split on Freenode.  #project is for "all kinds talk about the
project", which ranges from support to "how's that new code coming?" to
"Dude, isn't <insert celebrity here> hot."  It's the place where first-time
IRCers will go naturally.  99% of the time they're looking for an "all kinds
talk" channel, so that's what they should get.  If they start getting into
development, then they can be directed to the "uber-cool developer channel"
and feel special.

Remember, nearly all developers start out as users.  (Well, except Dries,
maybe. <g>)  If we want more friendly developers, we need to make their first
impression as a user as good as possible.

Secondly, as to the use of IRC support, no, it's not as permanent or easily
referenceable as a forum.  But a forum doesn't provide a fast back-and-forth
for easy trial-and-error.  Sometimes you really do need the instant-feedback
in order to solve a problem in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours.  A forum doesn't
provide that.  Larger questions should end up on the forums, yes, and a forum
post after solving a tricky idea in IRC would be a good thing as well, but
real-time provides a much better environment in which to get a variety of
feedback fast.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012