[development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

andre mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 15:40:53 UTC 2005

Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 12:20 am, Andre Molnar wrote:
>
>>Kieran Lal wrote:
>>
>>>3) Provided a "Manage inconsistency in themes" documentation page with
>>>best practices. http://drupal.org/node/37156
>>
>>A bit off topic - but i'll keep it short
>>May I suggest updating the validation best practice text to say -
>>validate XHTML1.1 Strict.  I mean if we urge people to do it right -
>>urge them to really do it right - it really does solve more problems for
>>developers than it causes.

> Except that sending XHTML 1.0 Strict as text/html is valid, but sending XHTML
> 1.1 Strict as text/html is not right, according to the W3C.  Since we can't
> send things as text/xml+html because IE is a broken ancient piece of popular
> crap, that means XHTML 1.0 is as up to date as we can support and still be
> "right".

How right you are - XHTML 1.0 Strict it is.

Notwithstanding the 'potential' problems with sending xhtml as text/html
- see: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml (or google for similar
documents) - the idea is to encourage the creation of valid markup - and
have all markup passed through a validator first (which eliminates the
'real' problems).

On that note - it might be a good idea to include links to pages like:
http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml part of the best practices documentation.

andre