[development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Dec 2 01:02:04 UTC 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 09:40 am, andre wrote:

> On that note - it might be a good idea to include links to pages like:
> http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml part of the best practices
> documentation.
>
> andre

I don't know why people insist on passing that page around, since it's
spreading FUD.

- The scenario right up at the top applies only to dumb developers, because it
does not include validation.  If you're not validating your code against your
specified doctype, then you're doing it wrong in the first place.

- <script> and <style> with funky comments to hide from old browsers: I don't
recall the last time I saw someone actually use the comments, now that
Netscape 3 is no longer used.  And if you're putting Javascript or CSS
directly into the page in the first place rather than linking to it, then
you're doing it wrong in the first place.

- CSS stylesheet differences: Of course it's case-sensitive, XML is case
sensitive.  Duh.

- DOM scripts work differently: This is the only one with any validity, but
again being careful in what you write takes care of most of it.  You'll need
to rewrite the Javascript anyway whenever you do actually upgrade to XHTML,
so you may as well get a jump on it.

- document.write() breaks in XHTML: document.write() belongs in the same place
as the <font> tag.  Even if you're just writing for HTML, you should be using
DOM methods.

- Some UAs get confused: I have never once seen a UA that when given valid
XHTML sent as text/html 'show[s]   ">" characters all over the page.'

So it's not XHTML that is considered harmful, it's people assuming that
throwing a few />'s into their code makes it XHTML.  Read: XHTML doesn't
break browsers, web developers break bad browsers. :-)  Don't blame XHTML for
the fact that most web developers are morons and most web surfers use the POS
that is IE.

Let's leave the old FUD links out of the handbook.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson