[development] Administration Survey: Theme improvements, theme help system, theme mailing list

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Dec 2 11:42:48 UTC 2005

Op donderdag 01 december 2005 22:27, schreef Tim Altman:
> Certainly.  I've been thinking about making a theme that used XHTML 1.0
> for UAs supporting application/xhtml+xml and HTML 4.01 for other UAs, but
> never got around to looking into the implementation details.  That would
> be the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Before we can do any proper X(h)TML theming, or XUL or SVG themes, we first
need to unclutter the theme spaghetti. On all sorts of levels in the theme,
sometimes even outside of a theme funtion, do we inject HTML.

I started a proof of concept for a pure svg theme. It very quickly became a
failure of concept. Not possible with the current state of Drupals MVC.

1 we need a clean transparant and consistent theme layer. Not spaghetti, but
layers
2 we need to weed out any (mostly in contribs) hardcoded HTML
3 we need to weed out HTML in help texts and strings.
4 we need to make sure that all theme functions receive only structured data
and not htmlified strings. (aka that clean layered theme from 1)

Or else this remains an uphill battle and will Drupal never be able to output
anything else then HTML or XHTML.

Ber