[development] optimize table in cron

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Tue Dec 6 00:38:09 UTC 2005

On 12/5/05 4:30 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Hi
>> There are some task that should/could be done automatically by drupal
>> core itself. Besides OPTIMIZE TABLE it'd be nice to making backups
>> (database mainly, but maybe files too?) and for PostgreSQL running VACUUM
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/maintenance.html)
>
> IMO this is not something that must be built into core. In a contrib: fine,
> but certainly not in core.
> I for one, running a flock of sites on multisite want to maintain my backups /
> optimisations and that stuff in crontab. Having to circumvent built-in
> backups, that otherwise would break my server backup system would be a hell
> for me.
>
> A big -1 on having backup and optimisation stuff in core. A big +1 on putting
> that in contributed maintainance or database modules.

A big -1 from me as well for this in core. My take on it goes something
like this: anyone running a site (or group of sites) large enough where
regular optimizations are necessary is likely going to put something in
place that better suits their environment... and those that aren't aware
of this already (either that table optimizations could/should happen)
likely aren't running a site where it's as big an issue. or something.

I too certainly don't wanna have to spend time working around it.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net