[development] image node type

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Fri Dec 9 17:48:20 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05 12:43 PM, Rowan Kerr wrote:
> A brief thought:
> You could keep "nodes" and "files" separate...
>
> Where nodes are any kind of actual content that is typed into the site
> And files are anything that is uploaded by the user
>
> Then you'd have node types and file types.. that could decide just
> how to display different things.
>
> nodes would be stuff like: blog, page, article, book page, etc...
> files would be stuff like: document, image, spreadsheet, movie, audio...
>
> Because files that are uploaded, I would not really expect should be
> given a normal title, body, published/unpublished, etc... that nodes
> (actual _content_) would have. Really, node's don't have a filename,
> file size, mime type, filesystem path, etc...
>
> Then you get into more of a document management system where
> things are clearly defined instead of combining content and external
> files under one container.

except that... what happens when I want to apply taxonomy, etc to my
files? (you better believe people wanna tag their images. ask flickr).

I think what we've identified is that "files" are a special type of
node... but i think a node nonetheless. (I'd argue that files absolutely
are publish/unpublishable - in a real document management system - title
/ description generally apply as well).

I'd rather not see files become yet another first order object in drupal
(not to start any "everything's a node" wars)...
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net