[development] some performance notes

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Fri Dec 9 19:39:22 UTC 2005

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> A while ago webchick pointed out
> http://www.php.lt/benchmark/phpbench.php  this site for me.
>
> The most striking difference is using in_array on a non-set variable.
> core  has 118 in_array calls :) some wanna check them?

How about we come to a consensus on the right way to treat these calls before
I roll a patch against 31 core files.

My first suggestion is this:

1.  If the is_array() is checking something that might not be set, I change
the code to say "isSet() && is_array()".

2.  If the code is obviously checking something that will always be set, I
leave it alone.

Any other possibilities?

Or should I just change them all to be like #1 to future-proof the code?

..chrisxj