[development] Stupid forms/node API question

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Sat Dec 10 22:18:11 UTC 2005

I've been fighting this one for seven hours straight, and have read every bit
of documentation I can find. I *know* I'm overlooking something really simple.
Please help!

Here's what I need to do in the edit handling of a custom node:

1. On initial entry to node/#/edit, I need to load values from the database
   using hook_load() and stuff them into the $node object. This is working
   perfectly, and the value from the databse loads into the visible form and
   displays correctly.

2. When a preview is submitted, I need to take the value that comes from $_POST
   and edit it before the form is generated. This is where things are breaking
   down. I can "validate" the value, issuing errors if I don't like it, but I
   can't seem to *change* it under programmatic control.

I have tried changing $node->(my custom field) in nodeapi:validate, and in
nodeapi:prepare, and even in hook_form. The thing is, I'm putting the modified
value into the '#default_value' element of the appropriate part of $form, but
somehow it's getting set back to the original $_POST contents from that field,
between when I build the $form array and when that array is turned into HTML.

I've been all over the code, but I can't seem to find where that's happening.

Can someone help? Thanks!

Scott