[development] auto_increment

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Mon Dec 12 15:24:34 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 10:12, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > I'd like to look into moving drupal to use auto-increment instead of
> > table locking, for both performance reasons (1 query vs 3) and webhost
> > compatibility reasons.  (There are some webhosts that do not grant LOCK
> > TABLE permission.)

+1 for this plan. If the databases we support all have an auto-increment
feature, we might as well use it.

I don't see a huge priority on moving Drupal to auto-increment; it could be done
on an attrition basis over time. For now, I'd be happy to see a statement from
Dries or someone else in the core leadership saying, "As of now, it's okay to
rely on auto-increment support in modules for Drupal 4.7 and higher."

I think we should *not* back-port auto-increment to older Drupal versions, since
someone might be running it on older database versions that lack auto-increment.
But by definition no one other than developers and beta testers is (or should be)
running 4.7 right now. So a statement like this made *before* 4.7 release does
not break any production sites...unless someone is running the beta in production,
in which case they went in with both eyes open and presumably with enough
experience to deal with this.

Scott