[development] language used by the update process

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Mon Dec 12 22:14:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am on testing out the 4.5 -> 4.7 update path on the drupal.hu database
(yes, we are going to span this route). I have found quite some
problems, which I will go into detail later (to some of them in the form
of patches against the update scripts :), now I just would like to start
some discussion, or get the answer to this simple question.

  What is the intended interface language of the update process?

Some interface elemnts are translated, but most are not. The update
script is especially buggy in this manner, since there is a t('Update')
button, but then the 'Update' op is checked for (without the t()
wrapper). So my first experience with the update process was that it
does not work, and this needs to be fixed (I am much farther away in
testing, but let us begin with this question).

If we are going to have the update process translated (which would be a
good thing from the UI point of view), we should remember, that the new
code (the new update system) runs on the old database, so that the
translations of the update interface elements are not available. On the
long run, if the update process does not change, the translations will
be there, but they are mostly not there at this time (update used to be
an English only process).

If translation support is put forward, many texts in the update scripts
need to be updated to properly t(). Otherwise IMHO none should t().

Goba