[development] drupal php requirement : more than 8 Mb now?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:18:09 UTC 2005

Hi Christophe,

On 13 Dec 2005, at 12:13, Christophe Chisogne wrote:
> I had a strange problem while importing a new po file in drupal
> 4.6.4/5.
> Finally, I found the solution [3] : memory_limit should be higher
> than 8Mb.

instead of increasing the memory limit, I'd like to see us
investigate how we can reduce the memory requirements of the locale
module's parser.

I haven't looked at the code, but using explicit unset()s might be
enough to reduce memory usage.  Unsetting a variable will free its
memory!  Not sure memory is freed when a variable is overwritten or
when a local variable goes out of scope when method execution returns
to its caller.  It is certainly worth exploring ...