[development] auto_increment

Rowan Kerr rowan0 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:10:51 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Piotr Krukowiecki <piotr at mallorn.ii.uj.edu.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:46:11PM +0100, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> >
> > Right. I still prefer to get the nid in advance. It just feels safer. :p
>
> False feeling ;) I don't see how it's safer.

Requesting an ID in advance is also a database-dependent feature.
MSSQL and others let you do it through their built-in support of
sequences, but MySQL only has auto-increment as far as I know.

As convenient as auto-increment is, I think it will be harder to work
around that if/when Drupal is moved to other databases than it is to
use sequences.

-Rowan