[development] Re: [consulting] managing many sites

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Tue Dec 13 15:03:27 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05 5:13 AM, Ber Kessels wrote:
> Op dinsdag 13 december 2005 09:53, schreef Dries Buytaert:
>> Yes.  I have been thinking exactly that.  We could re-use the
>> aggregator module's RSS parsing routines to suck in important
>> announcements and show them on a dashboard (main administration page).
>
> For our hosting environment I am writing a module that does exactly that.
>
> My plan for using it, is a tip of the day for admins. but we can use it for
> this too.
>
> The hard part, is getting a proper XML parser out :) Ive started this, and its
> in my sandbox, but RSS/XML parsing on php < 5 is a nightmare :) and
> aaggregator.module is far too specific and needs nearly complete
> rearchitecturing if it wants to become a general RSS parser.  XML gurus
> please hop on :)

I've mumbled about working on an xml.inc (and feed.inc on top of that)
where xml.inc would provide a "drupal-ish" general framework for xml
parsing & writing, and feed.inc would layer on top of that to do the RSS
  / Atom / etc specific bits on top of that ...

obviously, not as a 4.7 thing... but I have been (and will be more so)
dealing with enough webservices (that speak all XML) that this is a
thing who's time has come.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net