[development] drupal php requirement : more than 8 Mb now?

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue Dec 13 15:10:13 UTC 2005

> > On 13 Dec 2005, at 12:13, Christophe Chisogne wrote:
> >> I had a strange problem while importing a new po file in drupal 4.6.4/5.
> >> Finally, I found the solution [3] : memory_limit should be higher than
> >> 8Mb.
> >
> > instead of increasing the memory limit, I'd like to see us investigate
> > how we can reduce the memory requirements of the locale module's parser.
>
> while I'm all for optimizations... and Drupal's RAM usage could
> definitely use some optimizations, the fact is RAM is fairly cheap, and
> PHP's default 8M is a bit dated. Most larger scale projects these days
> recommend 16M (in fact I heard rumours that the PHP team is considering
> up'ing the default).

You are technically right. But in the real world, we will be shutting out many
users who use shared hosting and have no control on how much memory they
can allocate to PHP.

I do not like to see more people deprived of using Drupal because of these
constraints.

We are much better off tuning and optimizing locale, going to split
mode, ...etc.