[development] Variables, lookups, and memory usage

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Thu Dec 15 19:34:37 UTC 2005

>> I think discussed adding "domains" to the variable table a while back
>> on this list.
>
> Yes,. It was actually the first test DEP that I wrote. You can
> probably search the mailing list for it.

I admit I didn't take the time to absorb it fully, but It seems that
the cascading variable system is about values and overriding them
(think vertical),  where the lookup stuff is more about segmenting/
grouping data (think horizontal)

I could be convinced that they're the same thing, but right now I
feel like they're different.  Storing states/countries/etc in lookup
makes it a completely separate function from variables.  But I
considered storing expensive module settings here, got into a grey
area, and came here for advice.

To clarify, my main goal is to store settings while reducing memory
consumption by not loading values on every page load.  I'm inclined
to go with a component module for now as a proof of concept, but
input on making my strategy more generic/core-friendly is welcome.

Mostly, I need to finish up these dependent modules soon, and I'd
rather move forward than discuss it ad nauseum.  With this list's
input, I hope to move forward in a more informed/holistic way.

> I look forward to seeing you in february. I am seeing you in
> febs ,right ?

I'm sure gonna try!

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies