[development] Postgres- For compatibility reasons we don't drop columns but rename them?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 05:19:33 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, Keegan Quinn <keegan at thebasement.org> wrote:
> Well, this is not the case in any recent versions of PostgreSQL; DROP
> COLUMN works fine on all of the installations I have access to (7.4
> and 8.0 series).  According to the docs[0], 7.3 supported it as well.
>
> Could still be true for even older versions, I suppose.  Is there a
> documented minimum requirement?

http://drupal.org/node/270

Minimum supported according to documentation is pg7.3 with 7.2 at a
"might work, but probably better to try for mroe..." kind of status.

Of course, it's not clear to me what the compatability reason was,
exactly, though it's reasonable that PG didn't support dropping
columns at some point.

Greg