[development] Postgres- For compatibility reasons we don't drop columns but rename them?

Piotr Krukowiecki piotr at mallorn.ii.uj.edu.pl
Sat Dec 17 09:21:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 06:18:04PM -0800, Neil Drumm wrote:
> From the documentation of hook_update_N():

Where is the documentation defined? I can't find it in HEAD source (it
was defined in updates.inc but one of patches removed it; maybe should
be added back).

Needs to be updated.

> MySQL: ALTER TABLE {$table} DROP $column
> Postgres: ALTER TABLE {$table} RENAME $column TO $column_old // For
> compatibility reasons we don't drop columns but rename them
>
> Why do we do this? What compatibility reasons?

This is not true for 4.7 anymore.
We had this previously because we supported PostgreSQL 7.2 which didn't
support DROP COLUMN. Since 4.7 we support postgres 7.3+ which supports
the statement.

--
Piotrek
irc: #debian.pl