[development] authentication hooks - PLEASE HELP

Sheryl (Permutations Software) sheryl at permutations.com
Sun Dec 18 21:42:28 UTC 2005

I've read everything. Nothing speaks to these questions:

- Which hook functions are called when (and not just from within the Drupal
code, but from what user action)? I thought that hook_auth() might be called
when the user logged in (that was a wild guess), but I can't get Drupal to
call this function no matter what I do.

- Exactly how the returns of each function are used - in what other parts of
Drupal. Without knowing this, I don't know what's required. In particular
for hook_auth, but also for hook_info. When/how are the hook_info functions
used? By what part of Drupal? What might call these, and why?

- What values are set in the database to control authentication, and what
does each value mean? In particular, what is the meaning of the different
values for "status" in the user table?

- How can I echo values while the script is executing to I can debug my

If I'm wrong and there the information I seek is somewhere to be found,
please post a link. A general comment that there is "lots of documentation"
does not help me.

Thank you.