[development] authentication hooks - PLEASE HELP

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Sun Dec 18 22:45:02 UTC 2005

Sheryl (Permutations Software) wrote:

> I still have many other problems, however. Drupal calls databases and
> functions at unpredictable times. I can't tell what's going on and there is
> no documentation.

And earlier Sheryl wrote:
"Thanks for the watchdog tip... I don't know where common.inc is used or when
it would "be available". I'm a strong PHP programmer, but not very familiar
with Drupal's architecture."

There is lots of documentation available, but I think the problem is that
there is no easy to find documentation on the general control flow and
architecture of Drupal.  There is this starting point for developer-level
documentation:  http://drupal.org/contributors-guide

But if you don't know that common.inc is included on every single page, and
used all the time, then you clearly don't know how control flows through
Drupal.  Likewise, calls to databases and functions.

The following link should help with getting a general overview:

http://drupal.org/node/10858

This page is admittedly not in the most obvious place to find it.

You can build your own understanding, however, by starting in /index.php,
where all pages start, and just walking through all the calls made to generate
just one page.  Drupal makes very extensive use of what it calls "hooks."

..chrisxj