[development] Drupal Main Theme page - A Suggestion for Improvements

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Dec 20 23:09:47 UTC 2005

Op dinsdag 20 december 2005 23:30, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> The (web)links module is in the too-much-overhead-and-complexity-for-
> a-simple-task camp.

You obviously misunderstand that project. Or so I hope.

Weblink module != links

links is really nothin more then a
* standardised SQL table with a
* general weblink api. (if it would be core it would be link.inc)

Nothing more nothing less. Really!

Now, all that 'cruft' around it, is there to please the audience. No-one buys
a weblink_api.module. Its sad, but true.
People do buy a
'weblinks-with-cool-javascript-to-post-your-links-like-delicious.module. Yes,
that is sad. because this links project with a very simple bookmarklet does
the same! You can build your own delicious, with drupal! We, the Drupal
internals know this, but that person (loaded with funds) looking for 'the
definite delicious killer' will not. But, that is a different story.

That cruft includes a links_related.module (only 600 lines of PHP, for much
much more funtionality than those two 'standalone' projects') which does what
we want:
"We just want to display some context sensitive
information.  That information can either be text, links or a
combination of both."

Yes, it does so in a block.

Bèr
 PGP ber at webschuur.com